November 11, 2010 Wichita County PEcan Show Entries Due Friday, Nov. 12
The Wichita Horticulture Committee will be hosting the Wichita County Pecan Show on Saturday, November 20 at the Multi Purpose Events Center in Wichita Falls. The show is open to any county resident with a pecan tree and homeowners are encouraged to participate if they are interested in improving the quality of the pecans on their urban trees.
All entries must be received at the Texas AgriLIFE Extension Service Wichita County office at 600 Scott Ave, Suite 200 in Wichita Falls by 5 p.m. on Friday, November 12 to allow time for entry processing.
The basic rules for the pecan show include:
1. Exhibitors are limited to one entry of each named variety they grow; however the grower may enter as many seedlings, known hybrids or natives as desired.
2. Sample entries from one orchard cannot be entered in two county shows.
3. Pecans should be entered in the same county they are grown. If your county does not have a show, enter the nearest county that does.
4. The exhibitor must be the grower.
5. An entry consists of a minimum of 40 pecans, with 42 preferred. They should be in a paper sack and identified with grower name, address, phone number and variety (if known).
6. Entries containing more than one variety are disqualified, however and entry may be composed of nuts from more than one tree.
7. Nuts which are cut sanded, polished or otherwise altered will be disqualified.
8. Pecans exhibited must be from the 2010 crop.
The event will also feature the Wichita County Pecan Seminar from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. The free seminar is open to anyone interested in learning more about growing higher quality pecans is encouraged to attend. A $10 fee will be charged at the door to anyone wanting two (2) continuing education units in integrated pest management toward their pesticide applicator license requirements.
Registration for the program will begin at 9:30 a.m. and at 10 a.m. Dr Monte Nesbit will present information on tree disease, insects, pesticide use and tree management.
For more information contact the Texas AgriLIFE Extension Service Wichita County office at 600 Scott Ave., Suite 200 in Wichita Falls or by calling 940.716.8610.